The Vuz Vuz 2
April 19, 2024, 04:42:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Independence Day 62 in Hebron

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Independence Day 62 in Hebron  (Read 121 times)
Freesoul
Founder and administrator of Vuz Vuz, Vuz Vuz 2, and Bli Teven web sites
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:54 pm »

Having just joined a study group in the Mearat Hamachpela (Tomb of the Patriarchs), to hear the class I had to get up and close the window, because outside there was a gala ceremony with piped-in patriotic music and the sound of fireworks, as well as bright lights and a big crowd. Next morning, expecting classes as usual, I arrived for morning prayers, and was surprised to discover that they said Halel (section of Psalms reserved for major holidays). Classes were canceled for the morning, but not the evening. The thing I noticed most, however, was the absence of the Muazin's pre-recorded, loud-speaker-in-the-towers call of the faithful to their five-times-a-day prayer sessions. It seems the Muslims were in mourning, and maintained a rare day of silence. In Kiryat Arba, right across the wadi from Hebron, the IDF exhibited a collection of tanks, mortar platforms, robots, transport vehicles, guns and high-powered field glasses for children to inspect, as did the local Fire Department and Magen David Adom. Kids were invited to climb all over the vehicles and hardware, look through giant field glasses, sight down the big guns, etc. Then there were kiddy amusements, including bounce houses, inflatable slides, cotton candy, etc. I fell asleep on the grass.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum